December 2, 2015

Wednesday with Words: Doe the Nexte Thynge

I have been reading Elisabeth Elliott's book, The Shaping of a Christian Family, How My Parents Nurtured My Faith.   It is a good biographical sketch, full of inspiring stories and practical child-rearing tips.  As I near the end of this book, which has been my Sunday reading for a few months, I came across a full quote which I had seen parts of elsewhere.  I love the whole thing!  Its anonymous, but is located on pages 212-213 in this book.

From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: "DOE THE NEXTE THYNGE."

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, doe the next thynge.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resultings, doe the nexte thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be they psalm.
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, doe the nexte thing.


2 comments:

  1. That's where I originally read the quote also but then I came across it not long ago when we were reading through CM's Ourselves: 'Do ye Nexte Thynge...putting first things first.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think seeing it in "Ourselves" recently really made it stand out to me this week when I saw it in full. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Feel free to link to your own blog or Pinterest page- I'll check it out!