August 10, 2013

Why I Home School

*Back when I was thinking about starting the homeschooling adventure, I said I would come back

and try to explain it more thoroughly, so here it goes.

It boils down to the fact that I hold a different philosophy of education than what the public education
system holds (thank you, John Taylor Gatto for opening my eyes).  I don't believe children are meant
to go through the educational machine and come out the other end molded for society.  I believe that
God created them each as whole, separate beings with great plans in store for their lives, just waiting
to be discovered (Jeremiah 29:11).  To this end, I have created a list of goals, one for "education"
and the other for "social" - so he can understand and function in this day and age, but not be
conformed to it (Romans 12:2).

Educational Goals

-to have a right relationship with God
-to love sincerely: love, respect, sensitivity
-to adopt a healthy lifestyle: mind and body
-to work responsibly: use time efficiently, appreciate productive labor
-to communicate clearly: listening, speaking, reading, writing
-to enjoy beauty: see and receive satisfaction from it, create it, share it
-to reason perceptively: clear understanding, good logic and creative application
-to conduct personal business prudently: earn responsibly, invest wisely, spend
effectively, plan carefully
-to relate intelligently to the environment: understanding natural resources
-to understand our country and how it relates to the rest of the world
-to love learning and possess intellectual curiosity: retain an eagerness for life-long learning

Social Development Goals

-Social graces – courtesy and good manners
-Ability to make and enjoy friends
-Respect for authority – parents, adults, government, Creator
-Sensitivity to needs and feelings of others
-Conversation and correspondence skills
-Ability to give and take in normal relationships; grace to cooperate when things don’t go one’s way
-Skill in defusing tense situations – with cheerfulness and sensitivity
-Prudence in developing relationships – avoiding misunderstanding and proper precautions
from dishonesty in business relationships
-Leadership development, including good follower-ship
These ideas were drawn (mostly) from The Home School Manual by Theodore E. Wade, Jr. 
(I did edit them and boil them down to what fits for my family.)  As you can see, only some
of these goals are covered in other schools, and much of that elusive love of learning is too
easily stamped out as the children try to fit into the cookie cutters like the system expects
them to do. 

I only have once chance to raise him "right", and I don't want to miss it!

*This was originally posted here, on my foster parenting blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Feel free to link to your own blog or Pinterest page- I'll check it out!