April 9, 2015

What I'm Reading

I like to use GoodReads to keep track of my own reading.  Its nice to be able to easily update my progress, share reviews, and see what my friends, both near and far, are reading or wanting to read.  Its nice to look back and see how many books I've read, and what categories they were in.  Although I often feel that I'm not spending very much time reading, I can easily see that those bits are adding up!  My yearly goal this year was 60 books, and I've already completed 25, so I'm on track!  (GoodReads actually tells me I'm 9 books ahead.) How are you making it towards your goals?

Below is my current list of books.

Out of Mind - Out of Sight: Parenting with a Partner with Asperger Syndrome - finished this last night
The Good Master - current bedtime read-aloud
Richard II - current Shakespeare read-aloud, about twice a week for 10-20 minutes
Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old- I've read all the bits about ten year olds, and will come back to it in a few months
What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger - reading with my son on occasion.  I need to try to finish it soon to get it off the list.
Rich Dad, Poor Dad - our current financial book, that I read whenever my AO schedule leaves a slot open (as in, we do 3 school reads a day, not counting Bible, Shakespeare or Plutarch, so if there are only 2 on a certain day, I read some of this book)
The Everlasting Man - doing a slow read and book discussion over at AO
The Iliad - I've been over halfway through for a long time on this epic poem.  I started with a book discussion group, got behind and quit completely, but I do intend to finish!
The Handbook of Nature Study - I've read quite a bit of this huge book.  Its nature study training for me, full of good information and questions to present to the student for deeper observation and thinking
The Message Remix - a contemporary Bible, which I started last year and only read on occasion
How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading - another book discussion title, which we are making steady progress on and will finish in July!
Pocketful Of Pinecones: Nature Study With The Gentle Art Of Learning: A Story For Mother Culture - another one I started then set aside, but do intend to complete
Democracy in America - a more difficult read that I may not realistically get back to for a long while, but the desire is still there
Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation - this is a great parenting book, but I may not finish until I'm done reading up on asperger's/autism, as that's our current focus at my house
This Country of Ours - our American history school book
When Children Love to Learn - a highly recommend CM-ish book that I have as an ebook, which makes it harder for me to remember to read, LOL, but I will get 'er done!
Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition - I'm co-leading the AO book discussion on this, and enjoying it very much
Watership Down - this is such a fun story, and my second time through, this time with a group at AO
Trim Healthy Mama - I've pretty much read everything but the recipes, and am doing those a little at a time (I despise cooking but am trying to overcome!)
Endangered Minds: Why Children Dont Think And What We Can Do About It - a Christmas gift that I started immediately but haven't continued as enthusiastically.  Which is no reflection upon the book at all.
Simply Grammar: An Illustrated Primer - we've been going through this for over a year now, slowly.  Taking a break for MadLibs games this spring ;)
Our Young Folks' Plutarch - we are actually using the North translation with Anne White's study notes for school, but that's not on GoodReads, so this is what I put there instead, after starting it  last term
Formation of Character - CM's volume 5, being lead by an AO superstar ;)

Here is my reading challenge page - feel free to add me as your friend :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Feel free to link to your own blog or Pinterest page- I'll check it out!